Just Passin’ Through…
I am an autodidactic polymath with a few more interests than available time. I enjoy learning new things and sharing what I’ve learned with friends, of which I have a precious few, intentionally!
Closed-minded people irritate me; in fact, they anger me. I have little time for intransigence and less time for stupidity. Getting to know me is not easy; that privilege I reserved for my friends.
I love my country, The United States of America, and I despise what we have allowed it to become by our ambivalence and apathy. I serve it proudly as a military volunteer. It is up to us to change it by example and through leadership, not by violence. I firmly believe that military service is made mandatory for a minimum of four years for all citizens – no exceptions. Several countries follow this mandate quite successfully.
I have never met a man from whom I cannot learn something. I love reading quotations from learned people because, in them, I find wisdom.
Here are a few of my favorite quotes:
- “The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.” Henry Ford
- “When you make a mistake, there are three things you should ever do about it, admit it, learn from it, and don’t repeat it!” Paul Bear Bryant
- “A successful man will profit from his mistakes and try it again in a different way.” Dale Carnegie
- “When educating the minds of our youth, we must not forget to educate their hearts.” Dalai Lama
- The Dalai Lama when, when asked what surprised him about humanity, answered: “Man”! Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money in order to recuperate his health. And, then, he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.” Dalai Lama
- “Give the ones you love wings to fly, roots to come back, and the reason to stay.” Dalai Lama
- “A universal education in the most corroding and disintegrating poison that liberalism has ever invented for its own destruction.” Adolph Hitler
- “It’s a universal law – intolerance is the first sign of an inadequate education. An ill-educated person behaves with arrogant impatience, whereas truly profound knowledge breeds humility.” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
- “I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use.” Galileo Galilei
- “You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.” Galileo Galilei
- “Education: that which reveals to the wise man, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limitations of their knowledge.” Samuel Clemens
- “Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which is poured.” Samuel Clemens
- “There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable.” Mark Twain
- “Never let schooling interfere with your education.” Mark Twain
- “If Christ were here now, there is one thing he would not be – – a Christian!” Mark Twain
- “What yo think you become. What you feel you attract. What you imagine you create.” Buddha
I strenuously recommend that you discover and assimilate quotes that speak to you. Read them often and allow them to become part of your daily meditations.